Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Yahtzee Jr. (Toy Story 3 Edition) Review

If you have kids you know how it goes. You endure endless games of Chutes and Ladders, Hi-Ho Cherry-O and Candy Land. As a strategy gamer, games like this can suck out your soul.

Which is why when I find a game that's worth the cardboard it's printed on, it is worth noting. Don't Break the Ice is one. Trying playing that with another adult as a strategy game some time! Very good game!

Much to my surprise, Yahtzee Jr. Toy Story 3 Edition is another fabulous game. I think I actually like it more than regular Yahtzee. My initial impression was, "Oh no! A movie tie in game! Probably some repackaged slop that they peeled the Monsters Inc. stickers off of and pasted on Toy Story ones. While I can't say I've played a wide variety of Yahtzee Jr. games I can say this one is a keeper.

The trappings of regular Yahtzee are here: Roll five dice trying to get different combinations. But the scoring system and game board is very clever. You can only score in each character's row one time, from 0-5 (five being a Yahtzee!). The catch is that if you tie with another player who's scoring marker is already on the board you go back to the nearest available slot.

Also, the dice intrigue me. Four dice are identical, with Woody being "wild" on each die. But on the fifth die, Zurg replaces Woody. If you roll a Zurg, that die is removed from your turn - no rerolls! At the gaming table, even my three year old yells, in the deepest voice he can muster, "ZURG!!!" when a Zurg is rolled.

The gameplay is quick and fun. My son could play this game independently when he was three and make simple strategy decisions ("I don't want to go for Woody because Mommy already has the five!"). So in my house, when it comes to family game time, we'll choose Yahtzee Jr. Toy Story Edition. That is, until the boy can master Primordial Soup and Ablaze, which I've begun teaching him.

1LR Review - 18 out of 20 - It's a Critical Hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment