Monday, November 28, 2011

Obi-Wan VS Colonel Nicholson

"Colonel WHO?" you might be saying. It's okay - until very recently I didn't know the name either. I'll repeat it. Colonel Nicholson.

Alec Guinness famously played Obi-wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy but he ALSO played Colonel Nicholson in Bridge on the River Kwai (1957). I had never seen BotRK until very recently and I've got to say that I was very impressed. I'm not a big fan of war movies but this one has a completely original tale that I've never seen duplicated since. Alec Guinness's dignified and proper Colonel Nicholson is undoubtedly the highlight of the film (he won the Best Actor Academy Award for the roll).

His character is so great that I think he's changed how I view Alec Guinness. At the beginning of BorRK I thought, "Hey! That's Obi-wan!" but I'm quite certain that next time I watch Star Wars I'll see Colonel Nicholson where I once saw Obi-wan Kenobi. I'm betting that if you give Bridge on the River Kwai a chance you'll feel the same.
The Geneva Convention is what gives a Colonel his powers.
Don't you DARE use those explosives to blow up that bridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment