Friday, November 4, 2011

Serenity Now!

Google search "serenity." The first 30 or so links, images, and videos aren't mostly about spiritual awakening or religion. They're about a television show from 2002 and a movie that was launched afterward.

I never watched Firefly when it was on the air. I just don't watch much broadcast television. But it has been recommended to me enough times by gamer friends that I thought I'd check it out. See what all the fuss is about just so I'd have an informed opinion.

WOW. What a fantastic show! Great characters, interesting short term and long term storylines, fantastic one liners and genuine surprised and laugh out loud moments. Highly recommended to fans of the sci-fi genre. A lot of what makes the show interesting is they take the standard conventions of the sci-fi genre and movies in general and turn them on their heads. For example, in the movie Serenity, Mal's opponent comes to speak to him and says, "I just want to speak. I'm unarmed." Mal's response? "Good." And then Mal shoots him in the chest. That's Indiana Jones good, right there.

It's a shame that the management tools at Fox decided to destroy this show by messing with release schedules for episodes and such. Firefly and Serenity stands tall next to Star Wars, Star Trek, and Battlestar Galactica. The entire show and movie are available for streaming on Netflix right now. Check them out if you haven't already. Nǐ bù huì hòuhuǐ de.

No comments:

Post a Comment