Friday, November 25, 2011

Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride Available at Target!

I was walking through Target the other day and my jaw just about hit the ground when I saw that Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan were both on sale in their toy section! I don't know how widely available this distribution is, when they started selling them, or how long they'll be on sale there but I was quite shocked to see them. Until recently it seemed that major retailers were ignoring the widespread demand for these popular games.

A quick internet search revealed that Wal-Mart is carrying Ticket to Ride (online, at least) and Toys R' Us has a wide selection of Catan and TTR games as well as other popular "geek" games such as Puerto Rico (once again online... not sure about the brick and mortar stores).

I'm pleased for the gaming publishers Mayfair and Rio Grande because their products are getting exposure to a much wider audience. This can be nothing but good for the gaming community as a whole as our hobbies continue to get more mainstream attention. I guess the only people that might be upset by this move are gaming stores that up until now have had been an almost exclusive outlet for these types of games.

No comments:

Post a Comment