Monday, March 12, 2012

First Impression: Marvel Heroic Roleplaying by Margaret Weis

I got my hands on a copy of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Basic Game by Margaret Weis Productions. It's impressive looking. Of course the art is beautiful because it is taken directly from the comics.
The Basic Game comes with a Marvel Civil War "starter adventure" based on Avengers #1-6 from Bendis's run with the Breakout storyline. I, myself, always thought that storyline was a bit of a mess but... whatever. Reading over the adventure based on this comic book storyline I would say it is definitely for experienced "Watchers" (that's what the Game Master is called in this game). There are lots of options layed out without much firm direction. Basically, "Here's a bunch of toys.... go, play, and have fun!"

I've got to say that I've played dozens of roleplaying games but this game comes across as being very jargon-y... maybe it's because I've never played in the Cortex Plus system before. Players and the Watcher have to have LOTS of dice on hand and it seems like rolling isn't a quick process. We'll see.

I'm slated to run the game tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I'm pretty pumped but a bit nervous as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment