Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: The Midnight Show Experience

If you weren't at the first midnight showing for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 then... I'm sure your neighborhood was quiet. Because EVERYBODY was there and I mean EVERYBODY. I haven't seen so much excitement and fan turnout for a movie event since... the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. This was beyond anything for any Star Wars or comic book movie midnight showing I've ever seen.

I went to the Frank Theares at the Queensgate 13 in York, PA. The line for people that prepurchased tickets was literally wrapped around three sides of this massive building. I think the number of people that showed up kinda crushed the system. Nobody ended up in the right theater - My ticket said 13 but I ended up in screen 11. I do believe they sold out all 13 screens for this showing.

Of course fans turned out in droves dressed up in costume. Lots of fans carried Harry Potter books, merchandise, wands, and other memorabilia with them. Quiet a few of the costumes were very impressive! Everyone was in a festive mood - almost like a carnival! The crowd was composed of the old and the young alike. I expected the older folks to just be "tagging along" with their kids but several of them that I spoke to had read all of the novels. The youngest people I saw seemed to be around 7-8 years old - too young for this film, in my opinion!



I saw this movie in 3D. The glasses they gave you weren't the normal 3D glasses you get at a movie - they were specially designed to look like Harry Potter's glasses. That's the first time I've seen something like this done and it added a very nice touch to the experience.



You could go see this same movie tomorrow but you won't have the same experience I had going at midnight. This is what midnight shows are at there best - a little mini-convention for fans to get together and just bask in their collective enjoyment of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment