Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Preparing for Classic Marvel RPG

Soon my gaming group will be playing the classic Marvel D100 RPG. I'm going to be the Judge so I'm busy preparing.

I am very flexible as to the era in Marvel history and characters involved so I allowed my players to choose whatever they wanted. The group consensus was to play in the classic '80's mutant world.

Now, I'm not the biggest X-Men fan so it has taken me a considerable amount of research to rebuild the world of the X-Men during the 1980's. Thank God I have my Official Marvel Indexes, Official Marvel Handbooks, Marvel Sage, and Official Marvel Encyclopedias. Those, along with several online resources such as The Marvel Database, have been invaluable.

With the help of these resources, I settled on a time directly after the Mutant Massacre in 1986 for our campaign. One of the difficult things with the X-Men is how do you separate them from all of the other mutants - I thought the Mutant Massacre was a perfect jumping-on point.
I'm altering the history just a bit to make the Mutant Massacre more devastating. In MU continuity, the X-Men were really beat up with Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, and others out of action afterwards. I'm expanding that to take out almost everyone except for the heroes selected by the players. Here's the team roster the players selected:

Bryan - Longshot
Brian - Colossus
Dave - Beast
Sam - Wolverine
Chris - Marvel Girl
Jessica (new to RPGs!) - Storm (?) This may change
Also along for the ride will by Cyclops, perhaps as an NPC.

While it is possible to recreate the world of the X-Men during 1986, it is more difficult to find out exactly what was going on with the rest of the Marvel Universe such as Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and Avengers. Once again turning to my reference sources and online resources, I have recreated a "map" of what was going on in the Marvel Universe at large.

I'm pumped for this campaign! The MU is such a sandbox - it holds so many possibilities! We should be starting in about two weeks (for real this time) so look for updates on how it is going in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. LOL, Cyclops as an NPC. Kind of like that old DM tool of having an NPC Paladin in the party to keep the rest "in line."

    ReplyDelete