Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Full Dark, No Stars - Book Review (Intro)

Stephen King's latest collection of short stories, Full Dark, No Stars follows in a long line of fantastic short story collections put out by King. But everybody knows that modern King is full of disappointment. I should know - I've dutifully read every single book the man has ever written.

Full Dark, No Stars has four short stories in roughly 360 pages. This right there is a red flag for me. Kings best work is often short - the shorter the better! It's when he goes off the rails and produces a thousand page tome like Under the Dome that he falls into needless repetitions and unsatisfying endings.

Just don't ask me about the cover image. Besides the main character being female in a few of the stories, I have no idea what that means. Is that a nine? Perhaps this is his ninth book of short stories? I don't know.

Since these stories are so different from one another (and there's only four of them) I figured I would review each one seperately over the next few weeks and then summarize my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment