Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hey! That's My Fish! - Gaming Notes

I recently picked up the board game Hey! That's My Fish! (Deluxe) after playing it with my friend Sam. It's a fantastically well designed game and a lot of fun. This game is right up my alley - simple rules, complex strategy.



You move your penguins on hex tiles in straight lines, claiming 1, 2, or 3 fish in the process. You can isolate yourself or your opponents, either cutting them off from the fish or claiming an areas' worth of fish for yourself. It reminds me of Isolation.

What's great is the rules are basic enough that my four year old son can play  no problem. He may not grasp the complexities of the strategy but he does pretty well and he likes the deluxe penguin models. Even I have to admit that the deluxe penguins add something to the game. They're colorful and posed in funny positions. Plus they're really solid - they have heft!

Needless to say, I am doing pretty well playing this game against a four year old and even my wife. Still playing with different strategies. I'm thinking it is best to play your own game, not intentionally screwing your neighbor until an unplanned opportunity arises. We'll see. One thing is for sure - we'll be playing quite a bit of Hey! That's My Fish! in my house in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment