Sunday, April 1, 2012

Gaming Notes: Advanced Dungeons and Dragons #4/1

Well, last night's session was one to remember! Let me tell you what happened.

As you'll recall, a thief/mage, barbarian, ranger, druid, and my paladin are currently clearing out the Caves of Chaos. We seemed to be making pretty good headway when it all went wrong. We were pretty deep into the caves when we discovered that the thief/mage had been pocketing some of the loot without telling us!

Well, needless to say, this didn't go over well. The barbarian stepped up and challenged him to a 1-on-1 fight to the death or he demanded the thief leave the party. We were all stunned but the thief/mage, pleading his innocence, agreed to the combat rather than have to roll up a new character. The thief/mage's only shot was a sleep spell. Once the barbarian made his saving throw, the combat was pretty much over. The thief/mage lie dead at the barbarian's feet! I couldn't believe the DM actually allowed this to occur but I did think the thief/mage deserved it.
After looting the thief/mage's body, we continued on and after defeating some goblins, the barbarian found more magic arrows! The barbarian took great delight in snapping them one at a time in front of the ranger's face (since the barbarian hates magic). I personally thought the DM was rubbing it in by describing the arrows as, "Crying out like your own children caught in a burning building." Needless to say, the ranger flew off the handle and attacked the barbarian. It didn't help that the ranger and thief/mage were close friends. The party came to the aid of the barbarian and we were down yet another party member! The ranger's body yielded a disappointing amount of swag.

Our next encounter was with a orc magic user and it didn't go well. Our numbers, diminished as they were, were insufficient. I fell victim to a stunning spell and I was out the entire combat. The barbarian, refusing magical healing, went down, leaving the druid alone to defeat the orc magic user! Needless to say, at the end of the combat the druid was begging for what meager healing I could offer.

THAT was when I backstabbed him, killing him! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! The entire table of players sat around looking stunned! My lawful good paladin had just killed a comrade in arms! That was when I revealed that my character wasn't a paladin  at all but actually a thief in disguise! What better disguise than a big, clanky suit of armor that radiates good? I gleefully told the party that it was I who had planted the stolen loot on the thief/mage! It was I who planted those magical arrows so the barbarian would find them! And lastly, I had FAKED being stunned in the fight with the orc magic user, hoping he would kill off at least one of my comrades!

I quickly looted the bodies of the druid, barbarian, and orc magic user and beat feet. Those caves are WAY too dangerous to go into by yourself. You've got to have a party to support you!
 
My guess is that next week my "paladin" will come rolling into town looking for a new party to adventure with. Heh heh heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment