Friday, July 20, 2012

1LR Midnight Movie: Dark Knight Rises: Instant Reaction

fuckyeahmovieposters:

The Dark Knight Rises character posters.

RISE.I just got home from seeing the midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises.

Honestly? This was a hard movie to watch at midnight. I've seen plenty of midnight movies but this one was a challenge to stay awake during. First, everything is black on black with shadows thrown it to make it more dark. I understand that they're going for mood but visually there were times I was having a hard time deciding what I was watching or where my eyes should focus. Secondly, I had heard early reports of hard to understand dialogue and I agree with them to a certain extent. I found myself wondering more than a few times, "What did he just say?" Bain is the worst by Batman isn't much better. Finally, the plot is a slow march that has a number of points where it simply seems to grind to a halt. Even the soundtrack is just simply THERE in the background, rhythmically beating away. The sum total of all of this was that it was a challenge to actually stay awake and focused during this film.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's a bad film. It isn't (I'll save my few review for another post here in a little bit). There are some good twists in the film, I loved how faithful it was not only to the continuity of the first two films but also to the comics (even using specific images from comics), and the character arc Bruce Wayne goes on it a great one.

But my instant reaction is this: It falls short of the first two films. Still good, but if falls short.




No comments:

Post a Comment